Great history in Newport.
In September 1911, R.P. Tulles purchased Schmidt Pharmacy. The new name was Tulles Drug Store (now Seebers). Herman Specht was announced to be the new druggist. A month later, they installed a traveling library. A membership cost $1.50 a year and books could be read for 10c each. The City of Newport placed 6 manufactured containers (garbage) on Washington Avenue. One was placed in front of Tulles.
Tulles Drug Store, a United Drug Co was turned into a Rexall store in 1912. In April 1912, the owners son entered employement at the drug store. Tulles Drug Co and Vickerman Hardware Store installed gas tanks and measuring devices to pump gas into autos in July 1912. In January 1913, Tulles purchased Sam McGee’s business and Spokane daily papers were now available at the drug store.
The Newport High School assembly program included duets by Miss Ellis and Mr King on the graphophone, which was loaned by Tulles Drug Store. Window glass and door posts shattered when a car owned by Dr W.S. Wallace got away and slammed into the building. In October 1914, A.J. Tulles bought his retiring fathers interest in the store.
A belt-driven window display adorned the window in December 1914. An electric advertising sign was installed in January 1918. Tulles installed a new marble soda fountain, replacing the old one which was sold to J. H. Long for his pool hall. In August 1918, management was to be taken over by Charles. F. Bell.
Auto Interurban Company left Tulles Drug Store each morning for Spokane and back. A new awning by Inland Tent & Awning of Spokane, was placed in March 1920. The company also installed awnings at the courthouse, the Martin Hotel , Sharps Garage and Vawters and Sadler Store #1.
In September 1920, a cellar was placed under the rear of Tulles and a new heating plant was installed by F. E. Lehmkuhl. In October 1922, a music room was added to display Victrolas. The Newport Fire Department was called to Tulles in November 1922, only to find the smoke was coming from the chimney. Then in July 1924, a fire started by a window fireworks display was quickly put out.
In July 1924, World War I veterans could receive applications for National bonus at Tulles Drug Store. In March 1925, Tulles Drug Store and the Kelly building were both robbed. Just in time for summer, in May 1925, a Frigidaire ice cream cabinet was placed at the soda fountain. In September 1927, the Newport Post Office posted a sign stating that postage stamps could now be bought at Tulles.
In February 1929, Abraham Lincoln relics were on display at the drug store. In May 1929, Fred Lehmkuhl began work on building in Metaline Falls for a news plant (Metaline Falls News) and drug store to be operated by Tulles. In July 1929, the Metaline Falls Tulles building was finished and Erwin Jones was the manager.
Tulles was damaged by fire in September 1929. Within weeks, repairs were being made. The warehouse and restaurant that were also damaged by the fire, were both torn down. Tulles repair and remodel was completed in April 1930 and now housed Fred Rehms Barber Shop, Brighams Law Office and a music department for Tulles Drug Store.
In August 1930, a new roof was placed and stucco was placed on the store front. In March 1933, a prescription that had first been filled in Boston in 1881, was presented at Tulles. An auto-stage ran by Rudolph Doering of Priest Fiver, got a permit for a Newport stop and the depot was at Tulles. In July 1934, the state liquor agency was established at Tulles.
The Fred Wolfs auto was damaged by a CCC truck when it was parked in front of Tulles, in October 1934. Tulles was burglarized again in November 1935. In February 1934, a window was broken by a fallling drunk male and a week later, broke by an out-of-control car. An interior remodel took place in April 1936 making it a more modern method of displaying stock. In December 1936, a new neon Rexall sign was hung.
In May 1938, Tulles became a new agency for liquor. Once again, in December 1939, a car crashed into the building, causing $1,500 in damage. Newport Boat and Millworker rebuilt the storefront with the entrance on Washington Avenue. A formal opening of the new designed store was held in March 1940. The American Legion displayed a baby incubator at Tulles in March 1941.
In May 1941, Fred Baker served 10 days in jail for shoplifting at Tulles. In November 1946, another car crashed in to the building. In May 1947, Arthur Tulles, James Akers and Erwin Jones filed papers for new corporation. They gave away 4,500 ice cream cones. In June 1947, the store started paying cash for checks only on Saturdays.
Newport Bowling Alley leased their building to Tulles to use for storage, leaving the town without recreation. While remodeling in March 1950, a gay 90’s billboard was uncovered. In November 1950, the Tulles annex was damaged by fire. In June 1951, Frank Slagle, a pharmacy grad from Washington State College, and Nina Oscarson were employed. Gary Akers won an award for a fountain service equipment he created.