Between 1780 and 1783 the first church was built on the site of the present one, at Main Street/Crosshill, Chirnside.It was apparently described as ‘the ugliest church in Scotland’ by visitors. This building was eventually demolished in 1897 and replaced with the existing church building in 1898. In 1919, the congegration united with that of the Erskine Church (another eccesiastical body dissentin
g from the Church of Scotland) both of which formed part of the United Free Church of Scotland. Although in 1929 most parishes of the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland amalgamated, this parish maintained its separate status until 1952 when it became the ‘North Church’ used alternately with the 12C Parish Church at the bottom of Crosshill. In 1998 it became the Community Centre under the ownership and management of Borders Regional Council and subsequently Scottish Borders Council. It is Grade C(S) Listed. At some time, the slated hipped roofed church hall (now a meeting room) with it’s a rather cramped and dismal entrance was added on the south side now (with a ramped access) followed by a narrow flat roofed extensions to the rear to accommodate the kitchen and WC’s and the most recent extension to create a female/disabled WC